Today is my 48th birthday, and as I begin my 49th year in this world, I have to wonder what ol Father Time has in store for me. Ive always been optimistic about my birthdays, believing each upcoming year will be great, and this one is no different. Let me give you some examples:
1) I still have my own teeth! I had them cleaned this morning and the hygienist told me that I take such good care of my teeth that it looks like I should be able to keep them my entire life. I always get praised for my tooth care, but this was the first time it was explained in this manner. I guess Ive reached that age where having your own teeth is a blessing!
2) Im in great physical shape! During each of the previous 3 years, my running times have improved. It appears like Im a freak of nature, but in all actuality, its just that I was in such poor shape to begin with. I know that time isnt on my side in terms of running, but I still believe my best years are ahead of me in this regard, and thats saying something, being 48 years old!
3) I have a great marriage! We have reached the point where spending time together is truly pleasurable. Sure, we have days when conflicts arise, but we have tried and true methods in place to deal with them, so they rarely escalate beyond minor. This means the time we spend together can be spent doing fun things, instead of spent rehashing the same recurring problems over and over again. Each year we spend together, I realize more and more how truly special Sue is, making her my most treasured friend!
4) I have a great son! Carl will be 16 in a few months, and Im constantly surprised at how quickly hes maturing into a man. I realize having a teenage boy in the house can be the source of much stress for some people, but that hasnt really been the case with Carl. He is pleasant most of the time, and I actually enjoy the time we spend together! I cant imagine that changing as he continues to turn into a man.
5) I have a great family! I dont get to see my parents and sisters real often, but I thoroughly enjoy the time we do get to spend together. This allows us to spend our precious get togethers catching up and laughing instead of debating politics or religion, the dividers of many a family. I know beyond a doubt that they love me and would do anything in their power to help me if needed.
6) I have friends! I have friends at church, friends who run, friends at work, friends that have remained from previous times in my life, and now I even have Face Book friends! They all contribute to my life in a positive way, and I feel fortunate to know them. I expect to meet new people in the upcoming year, and Im sure some of them will be counted as friends by my next birthday!
7) I have a job! In these tough economic times, I feel fortunate to be employed by the University of North Dakota. I was asked to take on managerial duties at my workplace a few years back, and while this new portion of my job took me well out of my comfort zone, Ive finally reached a point where I feel somewhat at ease. I have to believe that my willingness to change with the times and learn new skills, instead of fighting tooth and nail to keep things the same, will continue to keep me employed in the future.
There you have it: Seven reasons (in no particular order) why Im optimistic about the upcoming year in my life. Its going to be a good one, so stay tuned to hear about it!