The woman of my dreams turns 50 today! What makes Sue so special in my eyes? I could easily list 50 things that I love about her, but a few of them might cause the birthday girl undue embarrassment, so instead, just let me tell you about the top five.
5) Sue is beautiful! Yes, this is superficial, but let’s be honest: If a woman was totally compatible with a man, but the man didn’t experience any type of physical attraction, the relationship would likely experience difficulties. Yes, it’s also possible that when a man falls in love with a woman because of who she is, he will come to find her physically beautiful, no matter what she looks like. All I know is that I was absolutely captivated by Sue’s beauty the night I met her, and I’m still under the influence 29 years later!
4) Sue is intelligent! She doesn’t possess a PhD, but then neither do I! I believe there needs to be a balance of intelligence in a relationship for there to be respect, and respect is the cornerstone of any relationship. I’m a bit of a “know it all” but I’ve come to trust Sue’s judgment in many areas of my own life. This is mainly due to the countless times that I’ve been absolutely sure about something, only to later realize that Sue’s different answer was the correct one.
3) Sue is fun! She loves to laugh and have a good time! Sue likes to do a wide variety of things for entertainment such as attending concerts and theater, traveling, sightseeing, and sharing time with friends and family. Her sense of humor is similar to mine, and we have already shared a lifetime of smiles, laughs and giggles in our 29 years together.
2) Sue is a hard worker! She has always been absolutely dedicated to her career when working at both KVRR TV and the Grand Forks Herald. Sue believes in giving her employer her best effort at all times and I have always found that extremely admirable. Not only does she hold herself to this high standard, but has come to expect it of me too, making this one of many ways that knowing Sue has made me a better person. This is the first thing I came to love about Sue, and I still feel it is one of her finest characteristics!
1) Sue is gentle! I have rarely heard her say anything even remotely negative about anyone in all the years I’ve know her. She sees the good in everyone she meets, and is quick to share those positive qualities with everyone she’s talking to. I’ve come to appreciate this part of Sue the most because I’m an extremely sensitive man who is quickly hurt by criticism. It has become easy for me to open up and share my insecurities over the years when I know she won’t use them in an argument to hurt me later on. While I value her gentleness as a wife, it has infinitely greater value in her role as a mother. She is always careful when disciplining our son to choose words that facilitate change rather than ones that hurt. Sue’s every interaction with Carl is full of patience, kindness, and gentleness, and now I’m beginning see those wonderful traits emerging in him because of her steady influence.
Happy birthday sweetheart, and always be sure that I love you so very much. Thank you for sharing your life with me, because your love and companionship have made me happier than I ever imagined possible!