Trying To Return To Normal

I’ve been ill with a cold that eventually led to pneumonia. It was amazing how battling through an infection drained me of all energy. I was a man accustomed to running 20-50 miles a week, some of it at a very quick pace, but when sick, I became tired walking up or down the stairs in our house. The headache, fever, cough, stuffed up head, and lack of sleep all teamed up to make this normally healthy guy feel downright miserable. I didn’t go to work, I didn’t work out, I didn’t write, I didn’t read, and I didn’t cook; most of the things that are a part of my daily life. My days alternated between lying in bed and sitting in a recliner with my laptop. The world was going on without me, which in some strange way both comforted me and brought me down.

I eventually saw my doctor who said I had pneumonia in my left lung. He started me on “Augmentin,” after instructing his student nurse to give me an injection of a fast acting antibiotic in my butt. The student, with the assistance of her now present instructor, used her finger to trace several imaginary lines across my rear to determine the proper location for the needle, an uncomfortable ordeal which seemed to last forever while my pants were lowered. The only pleasant part of the visit was when the student nurse took my blood pressure three times upon arrival because she hadn’t ever read one as low as 86/50. I replied yes to her question regarding whether this was normal for me, to which she responded “I’ve read that extremely fit athletes can have blood pressure this low, but this is the first time I’ve seen it.”

On Monday, I began reading a book. On Tuesday, I returned to work. On Wednesday, I prepared dinner. On Saturday, I ran four miles. Today is Sunday and since I’m writing, I guess all things are finally back to normal. It will undoubtedly be longer still until my workouts are back to the intensity they were before I got sick, but that too will be back to normal in the near future. It’s nice to once again be taking an active role participating in the world around me.

There are also so many things that have occurred while I was sick, and I want to write about them all, but that’s not going to happen. My mind is always racing, but it takes energy for me to focus my thoughts onto one narrow topic, and I simply don’t have enough strength at the moment to do justice to all I want to say. There are North Dakota’s new laws regarding abortion. There is the question of gay marriage that is currently before the United States Supreme Court. There is the debate over the role of firearms in our society that seems to continue returning with more vehemence each time there is a mass murder in our land. I have friends running in the Boston Marathon in 8 days. Our new puppy Mitzie was in to see the vet last week. Carl has had a lot of activity with Tae Kwon Do and his social life recently, as well as making the “A” honor role during the last quarter. Steve Wagner, a fellow marathon runner and blogger, is the new Editor of the “Grand Forks Herald.” The Human Nutrition Research Center, where I work, now has the capability to measure the oxygen usage and carbon dioxide given off by mice while exercising.

Well, that’s enough writing for today: It’s time to let my brain rest while I give my body a little workout. It’s great to finally be feeling better again!

1 Response

  1. Miki

    Sorry to hear you’ve been ill. Pneumonia can really take it out of a person. It can take a long time to completely recover, too. Glad things are getting back on track for your.

Comments are closed.